Friday, September 9, 2011

Vegeburger Ketchup Loaf Recipe

This is a slightly time-consuming (but totally worth it) hearty vegetarian "meatloaf " recipe (not vegan) that my little family loves, my husband, Brian especially enjoys it. Brian's aunt has made it many times at family get-togethers on Sabbath afternoon. It is perfect for potlucks or family dinners, I surprised my husband with it today and he was happy to come home from work to a good meal that really fills you up!
~Vegeburger Ketchup Loaf~
Ingredients:
1 can vegeburger
4 eggs
1 tsp sage
1 tsp garlic salt
2 cups cheddar cheese (or less if you don't want it so cheesy)
1 chopped onion
6 slices of torn bread chunks/cubes
1 cube (8 Tbs) of margarine or butter
Sauce ingredients:
Ketchup
Water
Brown Sugar
My little boy likes to "help" chop the onions in this handy food chopper that we bought at the Oregon State Fair a few years ago...one of my favorite kitchen appliances that I don't know how I ever lived without...lol.
Or you can blend the onion in a blender to a even smoother consistency, which is the way my husband prefers it. I did it the easy way today though. :-)
Next tear the bread into little pieces...Colton liked helping with that part, some bread went into his mouth...

Melt butter in pan or skillet on medium/low heat and add bread crumbs and stir until bread soaks up butter.

Open a can of vegeburger...

Separately mix all the other ingredients in a bowl...(I love my little helper's sweet face).

Add the mixture to the bread and mix all together and press into an oiled 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Colton and I washed the dishes together while the loaf was baking...

After 30 minutes of baking baste/brush on top of loaf, with this sauce:

1/2 cup ketchup

1/3 cup water

1/3 cup brown sugar

mix together
Bake for an additional 15-30 minutes depending on your oven.


Bake until loaf is brown and bubbly on edges.

Enjoy!!

~Crystal Dawn...Homemaker and Momma

4 comments:

  1. I have that same recipe. It is SO good. Somethings I "play with" on it are, the butter. I can get by with a couple of tablespoons and it's still really good. You can use tvp in place of the vegeburger. It's cheaper. I need to use up some of my left over bread doing this recipe. When I get down to heels left I cube and freeze them to use that way. Thanks again for reminder. It may grace my table this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a vegan version of meatloaf with lentils, breadcrumbs, mushrooms, and carrots as a base but it's not quite as tantalizing as this one looks...makes me miss cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your butterfly plate btw! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a substitute for the vegebutger? I don't want to order 3 cans.

    ReplyDelete